Ellington is a curiously shaped parish. From a central block containing the village is a long tongue of land projecting west and a shorter tongue running out to the east. It has an area of 2,700 acres, of which nearly three-quarters are grass land. The arable land grows chiefly wheat and beans. The soil and subsoil are Oxford Clay. The Ellington Brook flows from west to east through the parish, forming the southern boundary of the western tongue of land and skirting the north of the village, and joins the Alconbury Brook about two and a half miles to the east. Another stream rising in the parish of Spaldwick flows to the south of the village of Ellington into the Ellington Brook, about three-quarters of a mile east of the village. The land rises from these streams, where it is about 55 ft. above Ordnance datum, to 165 ft. at Belton's Hill and 161 ft. at Grove Barn on the north and to 172 ft. at Ellington Hill on the south. There was formerly much woodland in the parish. In 1086 a hide of land was said to be waste because of the King's Wood which was subsequently assessed with the Forest of Weybridge. There still remains a fair amount of woodland, including West Wood to the south of the village, Ellington Gorse, Underlands Wood, Sparrow's Spinney and Red Wood.
The road from Huntingdon to Thrapston passes through the parish, and around a loop in that road is the village on rising ground. In the middle of the loop on the south side of the road is the church with the vicarage house and the school built in 1870. To the west of a road leading south from the village is the Baptist chapel, built in 1837. There are several 17th-century timber-framed cottages in the main road. Red Lodge, on the east side of the village, is a late 17th-century house, built perhaps by the Throckmortons. It was probably the manor house of the chief manor, and the homestead moat in its grounds apparently marks the site of the earlier manor house of the tenants of Ramsey Abbey. St. Peter's College Farm, to the south-east of the church, is the Rectory Farm belonging to Peterhouse, Cambridge. On the Huntingdon Road a mile east of the village is an old toll-gate house.
Ellington Thorpe, formerly Sibthorpe, is a hamlet on the road called Breach Road leading south from the village, and now consists of a few 17th-century cottages. A little farther south on the west side of the road is Thorpe Lodge, in the grounds of which are the remains of a homestead moat, the site of the manor house of the Sibthorpes or Grims.
There was an Inclosure Award for 1,500 acres in 1774.
The nearest railway station was at Grafham.
There were two windmills in 1279, but now there is only one.
Victoria County History: Huntingdonshire ~ Printed 1932