Historical notes about the Manor of Ellington, Huntingdonshire, England, UK
According to the records of Ramsey Abbey, ELLINGTON was granted to them by Alfwold, brother of their founder, and by his wife Alfild, who held it for life.
King Edgar, Edward the Confessor, and succeeding kings confirmed the place and all appurtenances as given in the time of King Edgar, and in 1086 the abbot held a manor assessed at 10 hides. The abbey continued in possession until the Dissolution, holding it in demesne, with the exception of a period when William, steward of Henry I, held it, after which it was restored to the abbey and assigned for the monks' food. It was seized by Geoffrey de Mandeville when he despoiled the abbey, but Abbot Walter recovered it. It was attached to the barony of Ramsey and its tenants did suit at Broughton court. With three other farm manors it rendered Lent farms, paid 40s. yearly instead of 5 lbs. of cheese and 5 lbs. of lard and, like all the farm manors, gave 16d. to the poor from Maundy acre on Maundy Thursday. The abbot had gallows, tumbril, view of frankpledge, and amendment of the assize of bread and ale, waif, warren, hidage from Ellington and its hamlets when it ran; tallage, merchet, leyrwyte, poll-tax; wardship and marriage of his tenants.
The Armorial Bearings of Ramsey Abbey.
Or a bend azure with three rams' heads argent thereon.
The Armorial Bearings of the Throckmorton family.
Gules a cheveron argent with three gimel bars sable thereon.
The manor was granted by Edward VI in 1547 to Sir Walter Hendle kt. and in 1552 it was conveyed by Sir John Mason kt. and Elizabeth his wife with 1,000 acres of wood and several fishing to Gabriel Throckmorton. Gabriel Throckmorton was son of Richard Throckmorton of Higham Ferrers, and married Emma, daughter of John Lawrence of Ramsey. He was father of the five girls who figured in the case of the 'Witches of Warboys.' He died in 1553 and was succeeded by his only son, Robert, aged 1 year, who married Elizabeth, daughter of John Pickering of Titchmarsh. Robert held the manor of Ellington, in capite, for the fourth part of a knight's fee, and seems to have died in 1613-14, leaving a son and heir Gabriel. Gabriel Throckmorton, who was born in 1577, married Alice, only daughter of William Bedell. He apparently joined his father-in-law, in 1601, in the purchase of two messuages and 120 acres of land, etc., in Ellington; and this purchase seems to have given rise to chancery proceedings between Henry and George Bedell, and William and Edward Bedell and others, the former claiming that William Bedell, senior, had misapplied trust money to the purchase of the land. Gabriel died in January 1626-7, leaving a son Robert.
Robert, who was born in 1607, lived for part of his life in America, where he had grants of considerable estates; he had two wives, Anne (d. 1655) and Judith (d. 1686). He died at Offord Cluny, 1657, but his will was not proved until 1664. He made a settlement of the manor of Ellington in 1633. His heir was his eldest son Albion, who died without issue at Offord Cluny in 1680, being succeeded by his brother Robert, who also died without issue at Offord Cluny in 1681. The third son, John, had died in America in 1678, and the manor passed to his son Robert, born in 1662, who came to England; he died at Little Paxton in March 1698-9, leaving the manor of Ellington to his second son Robert, and two estates in America to his brothers Albion and Gabriel respectively. Robert, who was a minor at the time of his father's death, seems to have come of age (at 18) in 1713, and sold the manor of Ellington, in 1720, to John Merrill and Thomas Curtis, presumably nominees for the Rt. Hon. Thomas Handasyd. He, however, retained some of the land, and dying at Hail Weston in 1767, left his property in Ellington to John Throckmorton, eldest son of his cousin Robert, son of Gabriel Throckmorton, in America. ohn came to England and sold the estate, which consisted of 2 messuages, 4 barns, 130 acres of land, etc., in Ellington, to Sir Robert Bernard, bart. John returned to America, and died there in 1775.
The Armorial Bearings of the Handasyd family.
Argent a lion sable and a chief azure with three molets argent therein.
Thomas Handasyd was lord of the manor from 1720 to 1729, when he was succeeded by his son Roger, afterwards Lieut.-General Handasyd, who held it until his death in 1763, when he was followed by Clifford Handasyd, his brother. In 1771 Clifford, with his son and heir George, suffered a recovery and sold the manor to William Watson, Doctor of Physic, afterwards Sir William Watson. Sir William died in 1787 and was succeeded by his son, another William, who was knighted in 1796 and died about 1825. The property went to his sister Mary, widow of the Rev. Edward Beadon, and in the following year was held by the Rev. John Watson Beadon, apparently her son, who held it until 1835. It then went to the Rev. Frederick Flemming Beadon, who died in 1880. Lieut.-Colonel Reginald Henry Beadon, his son, held it from 1880 to 1922, when his executors sold it to Mr. Kenneth Hunnybun.
Victoria County History - Published in 1932